- Buy on Amazon - Copy URL
- Developed by Core Design (1996) on PlayStation, PC, Mac, N-Gage, Saturn
- Action Adventure
- Climb, swim, and backflip your way through a maze of cryptic deathtraps so realistic you can practically smell the decaying flesh. Unload an arsenal of lethal firepower on any wild-dog, giant lizard or blood-thirsty mercenary that gets in your way. Your mission is the deadliest one to date -- the recovery of the fabled Scion, an incredible treasure reputed to give its possessor vast power. Get ready to cross the globe to take on impossible odds while exploring Incan ruins, Ancient Rome, Egyptian Pyramids, and the Lost City of Atlantis...
- #290 in All Time Favorite Games
- Rank it!
- Weekly Rank
Characters from that title
Where does it stack up?
#290 in All Time Favorite Games
- 1247 pts285 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
- 1231 pts286 - Quake III: Arena
- 1227 pts287 - SoulCalibur II
- 1226 pts288 - Age of Empires III
- 1224 pts289 - Mortal Kombat (2011)
- 1217 pts290 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 1216 pts291 - Need for Speed: Underground...
- 1212 pts292 - Guitar Hero III: Legends of...
- 1211 pts293 - Rock Band 3
- 1209 pts294 - Mount & Blade: Warband
- 1201 pts295 - Age of Empires
#191 in Best PC Games
- 137 pts186 - To The Moon
- 137 pts187 - Dead Space
- 136 pts188 - Limbo
- 134 pts189 - Diablo III
- 132 pts190 - Ultima Online
- 131 pts191 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 129 pts192 - Broken Sword: The Shadow of...
- 128 pts193 - NetHack
- 127 pts194 - Command & Conquer 3: Tiberiu...
- 127 pts195 - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- 126 pts196 - Full Throttle
#70 in Best of the '90s
- 281 pts65 - Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's R...
- 279 pts66 - Sonic Adventure
- 262 pts67 - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex St...
- 260 pts68 - The Curse of Monkey Island
- 258 pts69 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert
- 245 pts70 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 242 pts71 - Crash Bandicoot
- 242 pts72 - Quake III: Arena
- 238 pts73 - Sonic the Hedgehog 3
- 237 pts74 - Sonic 3 & Knuckles
- 233 pts75 - Suikoden II
#481 in Best Soundtrack
- 15 pts476 - Need for Speed: Most Wanted...
- 15 pts477 - Jak II
- 15 pts478 - Freedom Fighters
- 15 pts479 - Dark Cloud
- 15 pts480 - Age of Empires
- 15 pts481 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 15 pts482 - Disgaea 3: Absence of Justic...
- 15 pts483 - Dune
- 15 pts484 - Star Fox 64
- 14 pts485 - Sanctum (2011)
- 14 pts486 - Harry Potter and the Chamber...
#28 in Best PlayStation Games
- 497 pts23 - Resident Evil 3: Nemesis
- 475 pts24 - Ape Escape
- 471 pts25 - The Legend of Dragoon
- 464 pts26 - Parasite Eve
- 435 pts27 - Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
- 434 pts28 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 416 pts29 - Rayman
- 397 pts30 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
- 389 pts31 - Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver
- 380 pts32 - Mega Man X4
- 356 pts33 - Suikoden
#471 in Best Storyline
- 8 pts466 - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
- 8 pts467 - Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria
- 8 pts468 - Dark Cloud
- 8 pts469 - Breath of Fire III
- 8 pts470 - Ultima IV: Quest of the Avat...
- 8 pts471 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 8 pts472 - Final Fantasy II
- 8 pts473 - Metroid
- 8 pts474 - Doom
- 8 pts475 - Contra
- 7 pts476 - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate N...
#34 in Best TPS Games
- 191 pts29 - Star Wars: Battlefront
- 171 pts30 - Spec Ops: The Line
- 168 pts31 - Ratchet & Clank: Going Comma...
- 157 pts32 - Jak 3
- 156 pts33 - Jet Force Gemini
- 149 pts34 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 129 pts35 - Jak II
- 125 pts36 - Just Cause 2
- 124 pts37 - inFAMOUS
- 116 pts38 - Dirge of Cerberus: Final Fan...
- 115 pts39 - Freedom Fighters
#10 in Best of 1996
- 785 pts05 - Duke Nukem 3D
- 706 pts06 - Crash Bandicoot
- 692 pts07 - Super Mario RPG: Legend of t...
- 656 pts08 - Diablo
- 542 pts09 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert
- 534 pts10 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 471 pts11 - Kirby Super Star
- 463 pts12 - Quake
- 427 pts13 - Sid Meier's Civilization II
- 424 pts14 - Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie...
- 283 pts15 - Broken Sword: The Shadow of...
#47 in Most Influential
- 100 pts42 - BioShock
- 96 pts43 - Super Metroid
- 95 pts44 - The Elder Scrolls III: Morro...
- 90 pts45 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- 90 pts46 - Ultima Online
- 88 pts47 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 83 pts48 - Quake
- 76 pts49 - Spacewar!
- 76 pts50 - Ultima I: The First Age of D...
- 75 pts51 - Gears of War
- 74 pts52 - Baldur's Gate
#63 in Best of 5th Gen
- 132 pts58 - Panzer Dragoon Saga
- 131 pts59 - Lunar: Silver Star Story Com...
- 127 pts60 - Parasite Eve
- 122 pts61 - Pokemon Stadium
- 120 pts62 - Star Wars: Rogue Squadron
- 119 pts63 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 117 pts64 - Duke Nukem 3D
- 116 pts65 - Grandia
- 112 pts66 - Command & Conquer: Red Alert
- 109 pts67 - Quake
- 108 pts68 - Tekken 2
#24 in Best Saturn Games
- 130 pts19 - The House of the Dead
- 129 pts20 - X-Men vs. Street Fighter
- 128 pts21 - Rayman
- 123 pts22 - Resident Evil (1996)
- 121 pts23 - Burning Rangers
- 117 pts24 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 116 pts25 - Virtua Cop
- 104 pts26 - Street Fighter Alpha 2
- 100 pts27 - Virtua Fighter
- 95 pts28 - Doom
- 86 pts29 - Fighters Megamix
#611 in Best Current Favorites
- 10 pts606 - Indigo Prophecy
- 10 pts607 - Dead or Alive 4
- 10 pts608 - Advance Wars: Dual Strike
- 10 pts609 - Sly Cooper and the Thievius...
- 10 pts610 - Shadow Hearts
- 10 pts611 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 10 pts612 - Master of Orion
- 10 pts613 - Far Cry 2
- 10 pts614 - Animal Crossing: City Folk
- 10 pts615 - Doom 3
- 10 pts616 - Burnout 3: Takedown
#26 in Best of 3D Platformers
- 192 pts21 - Sonic Adventure
- 180 pts22 - Sonic Generations
- 172 pts23 - Ratchet & Clank
- 166 pts24 - Jet Grind Radio
- 156 pts25 - Super Mario 3D Land
- 154 pts26 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 152 pts27 - Ratchet & Clank: Going Comma...
- 147 pts28 - Sly Cooper and the Thievius...
- 147 pts29 - Ratchet & Clank Future: A Cr...
- 145 pts30 - Jak 3
- 140 pts31 - Nights into Dreams...
#78 in Best of Action-Adventure
- 28 pts73 - Outcast (1999)
- 28 pts74 - Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain
- 27 pts75 - American McGee's Alice
- 27 pts76 - Lara Croft and the Guardian...
- 27 pts77 - Just Cause 2
- 27 pts78 - Tomb Raider (1996)
- 26 pts79 - Spider-Man 2
- 25 pts80 - Sleeping Dogs
- 25 pts81 - Metal Gear Solid: The Twin S...
- 25 pts82 - Bully
- 24 pts83 - Assassin's Creed IV: Black F...
You have played and enjoyed Tomb Raider (1996) and you wish to see it climb the ranking ladder? Nothing easier!
Sign up now for a free account and add this to all your top lists and move things around on unikGamer masterlists. Click here to register.If you already own an account on unikGamer, click here to login and edit your lists.
Here's a list of games from the same series.
Latest Microreviews on Tomb Raider (1996)
Tomb Raider Review written Sunday, June 19th, 2016 at 04:52 pm.
- All I will say is this; If this list was comprised of my Top 10 Video Game soundtracks of all time, this game will win. All the time. Every time. No question. End of story. Bye bye. - The music is godly, but the graphics are most definitely not. Lara's boobs more like triangles that could poke your eye out if you got too close, and Lara's ponytail isn't even visible in-game...but still shows up in cutscenes? The f**k? Still, it looks great for it's time at the very least. - I love playing this game from beginning to end. Thanks to patches for the PC version, I'm even able to collect all the secrets in one sitting and feel accomplished about doing so for once. I'd say it's still got it!
Tomb Raider Review written Sunday, March 20th, 2016 at 06:21 am.
Tomb Raider é um jogo de plataforma e exploração que é ambientado em cenários naturais e templos antigos, que dá ao jogador uma sensação de isolamento bem grande. Visualmente o game é bem interessante e os designers fizeram ótimo uso das texturas para criar cenários naturais e templos bem arquitetados, embora algumas vezes tudo pareça meio abstrato. As texturas são bem pixeladas mas no geral é um jogo bonito de ver. Como o jogo é mais longo do que deveria ser, fica bem repetitivo e maçante perto das últimas fases, principalmente quando chega em Atlantis. Já a parte sonora merece só elogios: as músicas são memoráveis, apesar de poucas e de tocarem em momentos especiais, pois o som ambiente contribui para a atmosfera de isolamento do jogo.
Tomb Raider Review written Wednesday, November 20th, 2013 at 10:53 pm.
The first & best Tomb Raider ever, an instant classic and a must own, the new tomb raiders can never compare to the early games of the series, took me years to complete at first (I was like only 4 or 5 when I first played it), I remember to this day the first time I played this I was stuck in the very first room for hours but yet I still love to play this even to this day.
Tomb Raider Review written Wednesday, July 27th, 2011 at 09:40 pm.
The original that pretty much pioneered a genre in 3D. I prefer its first two sequels (and Anniversary) overall though, but I only consider it "less good" rather than having any particular issue with it. The earlier TR's controls get lots of bad rap now, but they namely suffer from a massive learning curve; once that is passed (no easy feat admittedly), they're actually more consistent and skill-based than all but a couple of entries in the genre today. Beyond that all the better earlier games have more interesting level design than most Action-Adventures today.
Tomb Raider Review written Saturday, May 7th, 2011 at 12:05 pm.
For many this game made adventure/ puzzle games popular
Tomb Raider Review written Monday, May 2nd, 2011 at 01:04 am.
Awesome action-adventure game and one of the definitive titles of the Playstation.
Tomb Raider Review written Thursday, April 21st, 2011 at 09:04 pm.
The game that launched Sony into SuperStardom & established Sony as the the "Hardcore's Choice" Console. Inspired after the movie Indiana Jones-Raiders of the Lost Ark & the Video-Game, Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider represents a Milestone in 3D Gaming & it's protagonist, Lara Croft, made Women Popular in Video-Games.Selling over 7 Million copies, TR1 was a Smash Hit, in UK especially where it topped the charts for a couple of weeks. This game has it all(except graphics):action, adventure, puzzles, atmospheric soundtrack &...cutscenes, a cinematic aproach, something uncommon in 1996.The remake resolved "the graphics problems" but on the other hand, washed away the atmosphere & sense of solitude provided by the original, "that magic to
Tomb Raider Review written Monday, April 18th, 2011 at 03:41 pm.
Influential because: Adventure games have never been the same since.
Tomb Raider Review written Thursday, February 24th, 2011 at 06:25 pm.
Very sadly and with a lot of regret, I can say that this game has aged. It hasn't aged gracefully, like Super Mario Bros' still-fun-to-play mechanics, or even harshly but with merit, like Metal Gear Solid's clunky control system compared with its still very well-executed story. Everything in Tomb Raider has aged, from combat to mechanics to the simple presentation of the game. What served as a foundation for other games - Uncharted and Prince of Persia being the forerunners - has instead been cast irrelevant by them. The power of Tomb Raider, in the day, came from its sex appeal and how it was a fun simulation of Indiana Jones. It no longer brings anything to the table, and the roots of what was left are difficult to play. RIP Lara.