- Buy on Amazon - Copy URL
- Developed by Cavia (2010) on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Role-Playing > J-Style RPG
- Players will jump into the title role of the unyielding Nier as he begins his desperate quest to discover a cure for his daughter, Yonah, who is stricken with the deadly Black Scrawl disease. Armed with a powerful set of magical abilities as well as mighty swords and armor, Nier will do battle alongside a set of formidable allies against waves of dark enemies and giant bosses to discover the truth about the disease, his daughter...and himself.
- #515 in All Time Favorite Games
- Rank it!
- Weekly Rank
Where does it stack up?
#515 in All Time Favorite Games
- 567 pts510 - Grandia II
- 564 pts511 - Super Mario 3D Land
- 561 pts512 - Metal Gear Rising: Revengean...
- 561 pts513 - Lemmings
- 559 pts514 - Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3
- 558 pts515 - Nier
- 557 pts516 - Ninja Gaiden Black
- 557 pts517 - Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark...
- 555 pts518 - Prototype
- 554 pts519 - Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Red...
- 553 pts520 - Phantasy Star IV
#104 in Best JP-Style RPGs
- 53 pts99 - Dragon Warrior III (NES)
- 52 pts100 - Dragon Quest V: Hand of the...
- 51 pts101 - Final Fantasy VI Advance
- 51 pts102 - Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
- 51 pts103 - Suikoden V
- 50 pts104 - Nier
- 50 pts105 - Mario & Luigi: Partners in T...
- 49 pts106 - Resonance of Fate
- 49 pts107 - Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Su...
- 49 pts108 - Lufia II: Rise of the Sinist...
- 48 pts109 - Threads of Fate
#20 in Best Soundtrack
- 455 pts15 - Silent Hill 2
- 453 pts16 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy...
- 419 pts17 - Halo: Combat Evolved
- 409 pts18 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- 407 pts19 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
- 378 pts20 - Nier
- 374 pts21 - Bastion
- 369 pts22 - Mass Effect 2
- 355 pts23 - Okami
- 344 pts24 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora'...
- 327 pts25 - The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivi...
#26 in Best of 2010
- 501 pts21 - Kingdom Hearts Birth by Slee...
- 494 pts22 - Xenoblade Chronicles
- 479 pts23 - Darksiders
- 457 pts24 - Vanquish
- 438 pts25 - Super Street Fighter IV
- 426 pts26 - Nier
- 426 pts27 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
- 406 pts28 - Dead Rising 2
- 391 pts29 - Gran Turismo 5
- 382 pts30 - Mafia II
- 378 pts31 - Metro 2033
#58 in Best PlayStation 3 Games
- 215 pts53 - The Ico & Shadow of the Colo...
- 215 pts54 - L.A. Noire
- 210 pts55 - Rayman Origins
- 199 pts56 - Fallout: New Vegas
- 198 pts57 - Super Street Fighter IV
- 192 pts58 - Nier
- 191 pts59 - Resistance: Fall of Man
- 188 pts60 - Dead Space 2
- 186 pts61 - Mortal Kombat (2011)
- 186 pts62 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- 183 pts63 - Burnout Paradise
#63 in Best Xbox 360 Games
#59 in Best Storyline
- 145 pts54 - Tales of Symphonia
- 144 pts55 - Star Wars: Knights of the Ol...
- 143 pts56 - Final Fantasy VIII
- 139 pts57 - To The Moon
- 133 pts58 - Psychonauts
- 132 pts59 - Nier
- 124 pts60 - Batman: Arkham City
- 119 pts61 - Kingdom Hearts II
- 118 pts62 - The Legend of Zelda: The Win...
- 116 pts63 - The Legend of Zelda: Twiligh...
- 112 pts64 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution
#69 in Best of 7th Gen
- 225 pts64 - Portal: Still Alive
- 224 pts65 - LittleBigPlanet
- 221 pts66 - Bastion
- 221 pts67 - Shin Megami Tensei: Persona...
- 221 pts68 - Grand Theft Auto V
- 216 pts69 - Nier
- 213 pts70 - Gears of War 2
- 207 pts71 - Tales of Vesperia
- 206 pts72 - Halo: Reach
- 203 pts73 - Ratchet & Clank Future: A Cr...
- 202 pts74 - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy V...
#199 in Best Art Style
- 23 pts194 - Halo: Reach
- 23 pts195 - Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
- 23 pts196 - Golden Sun
- 23 pts197 - Grand Theft Auto: San Andrea...
- 22 pts198 - Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate N...
- 22 pts199 - Nier
- 22 pts200 - Silent Hill
- 22 pts201 - Torchlight
- 22 pts202 - PixelJunk Eden
- 22 pts203 - Prince of Persia: The Sands...
- 22 pts204 - Secret of Mana
#591 in Best Current Favorites
- 10 pts586 - Paper Mario: Sticker Star
- 10 pts587 - iRacing
- 10 pts588 - The Lord of the Rings: War i...
- 10 pts589 - El Shaddai: Ascension of the...
- 10 pts590 - Ar tonelico Qoga: Knell of A...
- 10 pts591 - Nier
- 10 pts592 - Street Fighter Alpha 2
- 10 pts593 - Alundra
- 10 pts594 - Might & Magic: Heroes VI
- 10 pts595 - Dynasty Warriors 3
- 10 pts596 - Dino Crisis
You have played and enjoyed Nier and you wish to see it climb the ranking ladder? Nothing easier!
Sign up now for a free account and add this to all your top lists and move things around on unikGamer masterlists. Click here to register.If you already own an account on unikGamer, click here to login and edit your lists.
Latest Microreviews on Nier
Nier Review written Friday, February 21st, 2014 at 10:46 am.
Art, story, music. This game blew me away. Sure gameplay is mediocre, but everything else is superb. It takes a while to get into the game, but after that, you'll understand why this game is underrated.
Nier Review written Wednesday, August 7th, 2013 at 11:27 pm.
I had a fun time playing through this game. Great characters, an interesting story, some tense albeit average combat and some cool environments. However, the character models are pretty iffy, the enemies are not intimidating and most of the weapons and Sealed Verses are pretty useless. Honestly, I'm kinda struggling with things to say because admittedly it's pretty average-looking and doesn't have a unique style or substance to separate it from the crowd. The one defining thing I can say about it is its soundtrack. It is golden, and is without a doubt one of my favourites of all-time. I'd definitely say to at least give it a go, especially if you're one of those people who think that RPGs in this generation are getting very stale.
Nier Review written Friday, July 19th, 2013 at 07:47 am.
Very fluid movement, visuals like something between Shadow of the Colossus and the Zelda series, and an amazing soundtrack comes together quite nicely in this game. The voice acting is quite well done. The story bounces between brilliant and rather poor, although some of the story choices that seem questionable at first make more sense later. The characters are all quite unique, and one moment with a certain character near the end of my first play honestly made me cry.
Nier Review written Tuesday, November 20th, 2012 at 09:28 am.
The aesthetics of Shadow of the Colossus meets the gameplay of Zelda. Where Nier really shines, though, is in its multiple endings. Each playthrough gives you a new perspective, culminating in the only experience I know that demands a personal sacrifice by the player him or herself. The entire game may feel a little bit sidequesty (and the awful, no good, horrible fetch quests all over the place certainly don't help), but the last hour of the game is more than worth it.
Nier Review written Friday, April 13th, 2012 at 05:38 am.
Purely judging Nier from a technical standpoint, it's pretty darn average. Battle system gets the job done, sidequests are ridiculously repetitive, and the graphics are unimpressive (though not outright BAD). What sets Nier apart is the incredible atmosphere that very few titles have been able to pull off since the PS2-era. Intriguing story and characters, amazing soundtrack, great voice acting, and lots of variation. And of course, it goes without saying that if you haven't played through at least Ending B, you haven't truly seen just how good Nier can be.
Nier Review written Sunday, October 9th, 2011 at 10:18 pm.
If there's a game with a soul, then it's surely NIER. Such an underrated game, that is unlike anything I have ever played. As the saying goes, beauty is only skin deep, so does this game show it's truly beautiful if you can look past the first impression. Pros: The story that just has to be experienced, New game+ that actually adds to the experience, endearing and superbly crafted main characters, enemies and NPCs as well, beautiful and haunting music, voice acting, exceptional writing, pays homage to a lot of games/genres, blends them geniously, in terms of gameplay it's jack of all trades ... Cons: ..., but master of none, level design is a hit or miss, really outdated graphics, often barren environments
Nier Review written Thursday, July 7th, 2011 at 10:31 am.
Beautiful game. Character designs and scenery were enjoyable to look at, fighting was slightly hack n slash but looked pretty good. The story was intense, full of sad moments and having to hurt people you think are your loved ones. Some interesting twists and fun game play. Several play throughs, some easy trophies and some tough ones. Word of warning, fishing in this game is a nightmare!
Nier Review written Monday, July 4th, 2011 at 05:31 pm.
I was hating on this before it was released, got some positive post-release buzz and tried it myself. Such a great gem of an action RPG. Has some flaws, but they can largely be ignored.
Nier Review written Thursday, May 26th, 2011 at 10:38 am.
Endearing characters, a good story concept if you ignore the absurd Japanese version make due to SE's kneejerk reaction to outcry, and easily the best musical score in a game to date. The game is not without flaws, however. To truely see the entire story you will need 3 playthroughs, and the game can be very tedious at times. There was the makings of a great game here, but I believe SE's need to fracture the game into two seperate entities between consoles ruined that possiblity of greatness.
Nier Review written Thursday, April 28th, 2011 at 04:26 pm.
The story of this game is amazing. Beyond words even. It makes up for all it's flaws which it does have some of. For a game of this generation, the graphics were mediocre to bad. Of course Square Enix knows how to create cut scenes so it doesn't fail there but the playing itself felt more like a PS 2 game then a PS 3 game. Doesn't help either that the gameplay is mediocre, it had a nice idea but it didn't pull it of well. Inputting hack and slash gameplay in an rpg is a great idea but then at least give the characters more combos then 2.