- Buy on Amazon - Copy URL
- Developed by Atlus (2011) on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360
- Miscellaneous > Puzzle
- Vincent is a normal salary-man with a somewhat normal life, With a girlfriend of 5 years or so named Katherine, Katherine is pushing to get married, and Vincent is a bit afraid to do the final tie-downs. During a night of drinking and contemplation of marrying with Katherine, Vincent meets a rather beautiful, young girl by the name of Catherine. Catherine's charms and beauty are just enough to sway the intoxicated Vincent into sleeping with her, and after that night of sleeping with this mysterious girl, Vincent begins to have horrible nightmares of falling, and strange sheep men.
- #453 in All Time Favorite Games
- Rank it!
- Weekly Rank
Characters from that title
Where does it stack up?
#453 in All Time Favorite Games
- 699 pts448 - Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenka...
- 697 pts449 - Pokemon Snap
- 695 pts450 - Chrono Trigger (DS/iOS)
- 695 pts451 - Diddy Kong Racing
- 685 pts452 - Need for Speed: Underground
- 684 pts453 - Catherine
- 682 pts454 - Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell:...
- 681 pts455 - Prince of Persia: Warrior Wi...
- 679 pts456 - Terranigma
- 679 pts457 - Shadow Hearts: Covenant
- 679 pts458 - Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3
#106 in Best Soundtrack
- 86 pts101 - To The Moon
- 86 pts102 - Sonic Adventure 2 Battle
- 86 pts103 - Grim Fandango
- 86 pts104 - Super Smash Bros. Melee
- 86 pts105 - Street Fighter II
- 85 pts106 - Catherine
- 84 pts107 - Machinarium
- 83 pts108 - DuckTales
- 83 pts109 - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy V...
- 82 pts110 - Halo: Reach
- 82 pts111 - Pokemon Gold and Silver
#40 in Best PlayStation 3 Games
- 357 pts35 - Bayonetta
- 353 pts36 - BioShock Infinite
- 346 pts37 - Dead Space
- 335 pts38 - Resident Evil 5
- 335 pts39 - Killzone 2
- 332 pts40 - Catherine
- 323 pts41 - Mirror's Edge
- 322 pts42 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare...
- 312 pts43 - The Walking Dead
- 293 pts44 - 3D Dot Game Heroes
- 277 pts45 - Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the Whi...
#76 in Best Xbox 360 Games
#84 in Best Storyline
- 90 pts79 - StarCraft
- 88 pts80 - Eternal Darkness: Sanity's R...
- 88 pts81 - Final Fantasy IV (SNES)
- 86 pts82 - The Legend of Zelda: Skyward...
- 84 pts83 - L.A. Noire
- 82 pts84 - Catherine
- 81 pts85 - Assassin's Creed
- 78 pts86 - The Witcher
- 77 pts87 - BioShock 2
- 77 pts88 - System Shock 2
- 75 pts89 - Amnesia: The Dark Descent
#75 in Best of 7th Gen
- 213 pts70 - Gears of War 2
- 207 pts71 - Tales of Vesperia
- 206 pts72 - Halo: Reach
- 203 pts73 - Ratchet & Clank Future: A Cr...
- 202 pts74 - Crisis Core: Final Fantasy V...
- 199 pts75 - Catherine
- 198 pts76 - Super Meat Boy
- 196 pts77 - Battlefield: Bad Company 2
- 196 pts78 - Left 4 Dead
- 193 pts79 - Left 4 Dead 2
- 190 pts80 - Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn
#75 in Best Art Style
- 76 pts70 - Dark Souls
- 75 pts71 - Batman: Arkham Asylum
- 73 pts72 - The Unfinished Swan
- 73 pts73 - Castlevania: Symphony of the...
- 72 pts74 - Eternal Sonata
- 70 pts75 - Catherine
- 69 pts76 - Trine 2
- 69 pts77 - Super Metroid
- 68 pts78 - The Witcher 2: Assassins of...
- 68 pts79 - Assassin's Creed II
- 68 pts80 - Katamari Damacy
#173 in Best Current Favorites
- 41 pts168 - Final Fantasy VI
- 41 pts169 - Final Fantasy IX
- 39 pts170 - Age of Empires II: The Conqu...
- 39 pts171 - Forza Horizon
- 39 pts172 - Tekken Tag Tournament 2
- 39 pts173 - Catherine
- 39 pts174 - Jak and Daxter: The Precurso...
- 38 pts175 - Pandora's Tower
- 38 pts176 - Final Fantasy XIV Online
- 38 pts177 - StarCraft II: Wings of Liber...
- 38 pts178 - Dead Space
#17 in Best of 2011
- 610 pts12 - Rayman Origins
- 578 pts13 - Saints Row: The Third
- 558 pts14 - Battlefield 3
- 552 pts15 - inFAMOUS 2
- 527 pts16 - Gears of War 3
- 512 pts17 - Catherine
- 477 pts18 - The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina...
- 456 pts19 - Mortal Kombat (2011)
- 416 pts20 - Super Mario 3D Land
- 404 pts21 - Assassin's Creed: Revelation...
- 394 pts22 - Sonic Generations
You have played and enjoyed Catherine and you wish to see it climb the ranking ladder? Nothing easier!
Sign up now for a free account and add this to all your top lists and move things around on unikGamer masterlists. Click here to register.If you already own an account on unikGamer, click here to login and edit your lists.
Latest Microreviews on Catherine
Catherine Review written Friday, December 6th, 2013 at 06:30 pm.
a stylish and thought provoking puzzle game
Catherine Review written Tuesday, June 11th, 2013 at 12:26 pm.
A game that wasn't afraid to be different, centering on the emotional trauma of a man that cheated on his fiancee. Fun, but extremely difficult, puzzles added a lot to the game as well. Proves that you don't need tons of violence or guns to make a dramatic, interesting plot.
Catherine Review written Wednesday, June 5th, 2013 at 09:49 pm.
This game is a surprise gem, but please make sure you are playing the right game! You see, this game actually comprises four games. That is, it has four difficulty levels: Very Easy (secret mode - look up how to unlock it), Easy, Normal, and Hard. For your first playthrough, I strongly encourage you to select Easy and stick with it until you finish the game. This game on Easy is in the high-Normal range for most other games with multiple difficulty levels. On Easy, the game unfolds brilliantly with a good learning curve and is a challenging, fun, rewarding, and even quite interesting experience. If you start out in Normal mode and want to quit, try again on Easy to see what the complete game has to offer.
Catherine Review written Saturday, February 23rd, 2013 at 02:44 am.
I remember journalists who previewed this game made it sound like it was going to reinvent video-game story telling. Spoilers, it didn't. That being said, the game still had a solid story with a lot going for it. Numerous plot twists, memorable characters and numerous side-stories made this a pretty engaging tale. The graphics were pretty solid, I really love the art-style since it's really versatile. Some characters can look beautiful while others can look super disturbing. The soundtrack is also awesome and way different from what I expected. I loved it. The actual gameplay was something really different and I totally enjoyed it. It had the perfect amount of tension and it was just super cool all around. Also, PS3 art >360 art.
Catherine Review written Friday, June 8th, 2012 at 03:56 am.
Gotta give this game points for originality. Not many companies are going to green light an HD puzzle game, especially not one as fleshed-out and story driven as Catherine. Add Atlus' signature mix of truly mature story-telling, good dialogue with drops of humor, and weird designs and you have a nice game experience. The story isn't that special all in all but it has its moments. And while it's no tetris there is enough content here to warrant multiple playthroughs. It's not a classic but it's a refreshing game in an industry so obsessive with genre definitions at times.
Catherine Review written Tuesday, May 15th, 2012 at 05:14 pm.
This is one of a handful of games to be rated M because it is *truly mature*. A beautiful, beautiful game. Resonated with me very personally. It's sexy too! Gameplay is addictive and fast-paced; imagine reverse Q*bert that you can manipulate. My sole complaint is the camera - it moves too slowly in some situations - but that doesn't hamper the gameplay for me; it just takes some getting used to. This is my all-time favorite game; not necessarily gameplay-wise but in terms of sheer emotional connection. Definitely a game to play before you die!
Catherine Review written Tuesday, April 24th, 2012 at 12:13 pm.
A masterpiece by Atlus games that is the most innovative game of the past um while, at least. The player takes the role of Vincent, a guy who is stuck in-between two, totally opposite women. Moral quandaries and nightmares ensue. The plot of the game is really down to Earth (insofar as relationship stuff goes), and consists of talking to your girls and your friends in late night bar-meetings. The weird part of the game happens at night, when the main chr. goes to sleep, and is forced into solving strange block-building puzzles as a sheep in order to outrun the demons of his mind o.0 it's just as cool as it sounds; the only problem with this game is that it's way too short!! argh
Catherine Review written Saturday, April 14th, 2012 at 05:13 pm.
As a big fan of Atlus, I had to play this one just for the story. I'm not usually one for block puzzle games, so I thought I'd just trudge through to get to the story. Ironically, my enjoyment turned out to be exactly the opposite of what I was expecting. The puzzles are actually really fun and challenging. Not a ton of games this gen have required actually thinking and planning strategies to move forward, so it's good to see at least someone doing it. Voice acting and music are fantastic, as expected from the Atlus sound team at this point. Wasn't really impressed with the story actually, so I guess it's good that the game itself turned out to be as much fun as it did!
Catherine Review written Wednesday, March 28th, 2012 at 08:42 pm.
I'm really torn on reviewing this game and have avoided doing so for a while. On one hand, it is incredibly unique, quite challenging, and has an entertaining story. On the other hand, there's just something about it that I don't like and I can't put my finger on it. I don't typically get headaches when I play video games, but I got one almost every single time I played this game, which I found very odd, and certainly messed with my enjoyment of the game. My only complaint about the story is that I found it difficult to sympathize with the main character and the situations he kept putting himself into. I recommend everyone at least try it out, but at the end of the day it's definitely not one of my favorite puzzle games.
Catherine Review written Friday, December 30th, 2011 at 01:54 am.
Catherine is not your typical puzzle game. It's the one that grabs your attention straight from the start, not because of its gameplay, but because of its story and presentation. It's a really original game that, unfortunately, overstays its welcome in the end. Pros: Great first impression, superb characters, clever writing, really funny, different and yet fitting music, great puzzle gameplay, fresh ideas, cool online feature, story that you'll want to see through to the end, great art style and voice acting Cons: There's little variation in both the scenery and gameplay, story stumbles at one point, the choices you make have little impact until the very end of the game, quite a few filler endings, drags a bit towards the end