- Buy on Amazon - Copy URL
- Developed by Konami Tokyo (KCET) (1997) on PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation, Saturn
- Action Adventure
- As a descendant of Dracula, you must end the vampire bloodline. Can you rid the world of this unspeakable terror? Uncover the mystery of Castlevania and challenge an adventure as legendary as its name. Over 140 different enemies, bosses, and ghastly creatures. Awesome magical spells - transform into a bat, a wolf, or ethereal mist. Hidden weapons, secrets, and characters...the largest Castlevania ever!
- #65 in All Time Favorite Games
- Rank it!
- Weekly Rank
Where does it stack up?
#65 in All Time Favorite Games
- 6265 pts60 - Dark Souls
- 6252 pts61 - The Walking Dead
- 6209 pts62 - The Last of Us
- 6193 pts63 - Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
- 6097 pts64 - Final Fantasy VIII
- 5700 pts65 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 5637 pts66 - StarCraft
- 5600 pts67 - Call of Duty: Modern Warfare...
- 5481 pts68 - Banjo-Kazooie
- 5416 pts69 - Age of Empires II: The Age o...
- 5378 pts70 - Star Wars: Battlefront II
#14 in Best of the '90s
- 1334 pts09 - Super Metroid
- 1251 pts10 - Pokemon Red/Blue/Green
- 1073 pts11 - Half-Life
- 981 pts12 - GoldenEye 007
- 962 pts13 - Pokemon Gold and Silver
- 955 pts14 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 852 pts15 - Final Fantasy VIII
- 808 pts16 - Banjo-Kazooie
- 782 pts17 - StarCraft
- 764 pts18 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's...
- 740 pts19 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit...
#9 in Best Soundtrack
- 825 pts04 - Shadow of the Colossus
- 790 pts05 - Final Fantasy VI
- 705 pts06 - Super Smash Bros. Brawl
- 659 pts07 - Chrono Cross
- 579 pts08 - Super Mario Galaxy
- 577 pts09 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 548 pts10 - Final Fantasy X
- 515 pts11 - Mega Man 2 (NES)
- 479 pts12 - The Legend of Zelda: The Win...
- 462 pts13 - Final Fantasy VIII
- 462 pts14 - Final Fantasy IX
#4 in Best PlayStation Games
- 3245 pts01 - Final Fantasy VII
- 2942 pts02 - Metal Gear Solid
- 2110 pts03 - Final Fantasy IX
- 1910 pts04 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 1619 pts05 - Final Fantasy VIII
- 1235 pts06 - Resident Evil 2
- 1232 pts07 - Crash Bandicoot: Warped
- 1124 pts08 - Final Fantasy Tactics
- 940 pts09 - Crash Bandicoot
- 935 pts10 - Tekken 3
- 880 pts11 - Spyro the Dragon
#135 in Best PlayStation 3 Games
- 62 pts130 - Marvel: Ultimate Alliance
- 61 pts131 - PixelJunk Shooter
- 61 pts132 - Star Ocean: The Last Hope
- 61 pts133 - Prototype
- 61 pts134 - PixelJunk Monsters
- 60 pts135 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 59 pts136 - Pac-Man Championship Edition...
- 58 pts137 - Deadly Premonition
- 58 pts138 - Max Payne 3
- 56 pts139 - The Unfinished Swan
- 56 pts140 - Street Fighter IV
#69 in Best Xbox 360 Games
#401 in Best Storyline
- 10 pts396 - Wasteland
- 10 pts397 - Ultima V: Warriors of Destin...
- 10 pts398 - Super Mario Bros.
- 10 pts399 - Pac-Man
- 10 pts400 - Heroes of Might and Magic II...
- 10 pts401 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 9 pts402 - Year Walk
- 9 pts403 - The Cave
- 9 pts404 - Emerald City Confidential
- 9 pts405 - Time Hollow
- 9 pts406 - Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Dro...
#3 in Best of 1997
- 1861 pts01 - Final Fantasy VII
- 1436 pts02 - GoldenEye 007
- 1175 pts03 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 1114 pts04 - Star Fox 64
- 684 pts05 - Fallout
- 592 pts06 - Final Fantasy Tactics
- 584 pts07 - Tekken 3
- 537 pts08 - Crash Bandicoot 2: Cortex St...
- 497 pts09 - Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
- 488 pts10 - Diddy Kong Racing
- 478 pts11 - Age of Empires
#319 in Best of 7th Gen
- 26 pts314 - Sam & Max: The Devil's Playh...
- 26 pts315 - Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Ultima...
- 26 pts316 - Half-Minute Hero
- 26 pts317 - Project Gotham Racing 4
- 26 pts318 - Prince of Persia: Warrior Wi...
- 26 pts319 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 25 pts320 - Corpse Party
- 25 pts321 - Tetris DS
- 25 pts322 - Mega Man Maverick Hunter X
- 25 pts323 - Final Fantasy XIV Online
- 25 pts324 - MadWorld
#4 in Best 2D Platformers
- 1468 pts01 - Super Mario World
- 1287 pts02 - Super Mario Bros. 3
- 833 pts03 - Super Metroid
- 784 pts04 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 661 pts05 - Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit...
- 660 pts06 - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's...
- 628 pts07 - Super Mario Bros.
- 532 pts08 - Donkey Kong Country
- 531 pts09 - Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy...
- 445 pts10 - Mega Man X
- 413 pts11 - Super Meat Boy
#85 in Most Influential
- 44 pts80 - Super Mario Galaxy
- 43 pts81 - Uncharted 3: Drake's Decepti...
- 43 pts82 - Donkey Kong Country
- 42 pts83 - EverQuest
- 40 pts84 - Max Payne
- 39 pts85 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 36 pts86 - Ico
- 36 pts87 - Fallout
- 36 pts88 - Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos
- 36 pts89 - Super Smash Bros. Melee
- 36 pts90 - The Legend of Zelda: Majora'...
#73 in Best Art Style
#12 in Best of 5th Gen
- 797 pts07 - Final Fantasy VIII
- 773 pts08 - GoldenEye 007
- 702 pts09 - Banjo-Kazooie
- 700 pts10 - Star Fox 64
- 688 pts11 - Mario Kart 64
- 671 pts12 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 658 pts13 - Pokemon Gold and Silver
- 614 pts14 - Super Smash Bros.
- 558 pts15 - Final Fantasy VI
- 478 pts16 - Resident Evil 2
- 427 pts17 - Paper Mario
#12 in Best Saturn Games
- 233 pts07 - Sega Rally Championship
- 231 pts08 - Shining Force III
- 222 pts09 - Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
- 205 pts10 - Daytona USA
- 195 pts11 - Saturn Bomberman
- 190 pts12 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 180 pts13 - Dragon Force
- 150 pts14 - Grandia
- 141 pts15 - Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Comple...
- 141 pts16 - Virtua Cop 2
- 138 pts17 - Sonic 3D Blast
#371 in Best Current Favorites
- 18 pts366 - Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One
- 18 pts367 - Rune Factory Frontier
- 18 pts368 - inFAMOUS
- 18 pts369 - Metroid Fusion
- 18 pts370 - Braid
- 18 pts371 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 17 pts372 - DayZ
- 17 pts373 - Awesomenauts
- 17 pts374 - Kingdom Hearts Re:coded
- 17 pts375 - Penny Arcade Adventures: On...
- 17 pts376 - Tribes: Ascend
#11 in Best of Action-Adventure
- 248 pts06 - The Legend of Zelda: A Link...
- 246 pts07 - Batman: Arkham Asylum
- 231 pts08 - Resident Evil 4
- 229 pts09 - Batman: Arkham City
- 209 pts10 - Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
- 195 pts11 - Castlevania: Symphony of...
- 180 pts12 - Okami
- 174 pts13 - Red Dead Redemption
- 170 pts14 - Metal Gear Solid
- 163 pts15 - Assassin's Creed II
- 161 pts16 - Metroid Prime
You have played and enjoyed Castlevania: Symphony of the Night and you wish to see it climb the ranking ladder? Nothing easier!
Sign up now for a free account and add this to all your top lists and move things around on unikGamer masterlists. Click here to register.If you already own an account on unikGamer, click here to login and edit your lists.
Here's a list of games from the same series.
Latest Microreviews on Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Tuesday, December 30th, 2014 at 02:57 am.
Everyone has there "Pet Game" SOTN is mine. The formula was invented by Super Metroid, add Final Fantasy like level up to the gothic Castlevania Series. Up the exploration a bit, rare item drops, make Alucard Dracula's one son the main character. A perfect soundtrack that stands up to almost anything Beethoven or Mozart did & you have MAGIC!! The voice acting does not even bother me a bit. Yes it's cheesy but funny to. Think about this maybe people back then in the year the games story was set actually talked like this! The replay value is through the roof. I still haven't found every microscopic thing yet. SOTN fanboy & proud to be! SOTN will never die! This game is one for the ages. A Timeless Classic.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Thursday, August 22nd, 2013 at 05:22 pm.
This was the first game in the series to take a non-linear approach. But that was one of the strongest points for the game because it allowed you to explore the whole castle which was huge and crammed with tons of items, weapons, enemies and bosses. There is a good chance you won't find everything the game has to offer on the first play through giving it a pretty good replay value, especially after unlocking the inverted castle that bring new enemies and bosses. Graphically for a 2-D game the level design and detail is absolutely amazing with a superb soundtrack that still stands out to date. Unfortunately the only flaw was the lack of difficulty as it can get very easy with proper equipment. Other than that it's an instant classic.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Wednesday, June 5th, 2013 at 07:58 am.
One of the greatest 2D games ever. Though it was released in a time when 3D games seemed the way the future and 2D games seemed dead, it showed how incredibly well-polished and refined a 2D side-scrolling game could be. It took everthing that was great about the previous games like the incredible and creepy monster designs and made it even better. The musical score is a hallmark in both the series and in video game history with a moving and atmospheric mix of piano, guitar, and orchestration. A game that should be on every top 100 list ever until the end of time.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Thursday, May 16th, 2013 at 08:51 pm.
I love non-linear games. This is a good example.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Tuesday, May 14th, 2013 at 03:23 am.
Best 2d action adventure game overall with attention to details in all aspects which no other game can match yet many ignore.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Saturday, April 27th, 2013 at 06:41 pm.
This was my brother's favorite game, and has been one of my favorites since I bought it on PSN Christmas time. I loved it so much, I played it for 6 hours straight the day after I bought it. I wish all "Castlevania" games were this good!
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 10:27 pm.
It's like Castlevania but then it adds non-linear Metroid-like exploration, and RPG elements. While you don't play as a Belmont (outside of an "unlockable"), the protagonist is the badass Alucard who can equip various weapons, armor, and other stuff as he battles Dracula and his demonic army. This game forever changed the Castlevania series.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Thursday, April 25th, 2013 at 08:40 am.
Voice acting and long playing hours.. Not to mention the upside down castle and collectibles.. Rare items to collect and unlocking Richter? Best Game ever. I never really played Castlevania but this one made me play hours and hours. Awesome Game. Boss battles were not that difficult if you grind and get the weapons you need.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Tuesday, April 16th, 2013 at 08:41 pm.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night is a game that will stay in your memories for years. Maybe your whole life. Everything in this game is perfect. It's challenging, it has a perfect level design, the story is great, it has a lots of collectables and one of the best soundtracks of all time. You won't forget the melodies and the place where you listened to it the first time. This is just a masterpiece and one of the best games of all time.
Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Review written Thursday, April 4th, 2013 at 08:28 am.