unikGamerunikGamer
Bayonetta text_is #166 on unikGamerBayonetta text_is #166 on unikGamer

Pages : 12345

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 07:53 pm.

Is there any reason why I should pay $30 for a 15 year old game? I can get the other two PlayStation Final Fantasy's AND Tactics for less!

Seriously, just look up Final Fantasy VII on Amazon. That price is inexcusable. Even when you don't get the manual or the original case the game is $30!

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 07:56 pm.

It would be as if a classic piece of literature suddenly went out of print for many years. The price would shoot up. Remember that, while it's a 15 year-old game, they probably haven't made a physical copy of it in almost ten years.

Trust me though, it's not as bad as Earthbound! Look that up on Amazon. It's price is completely ridiculous.

FillyModerator

Filly

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 08:08 pm.

Yeah, we actually take good condition copies of FF7 with manual and its case for $35 store credit at my store. It's considered one of the rarer PS1 games.

Game costs appear to be a bell-shaped curve. Games from last generation are the cheapest, while PS1 era and earlier games and current gen games cost more.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 08:19 pm.

Quality costs, Ferraris don't come cheap either.
Its worth $30 easy, I wouldn't sell my version for 10X that.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 08:42 pm.

msg said:

Quality costs, Ferraris don't come cheap either.
Its worth $30 easy, I wouldn't sell my version for 10X that.

Don't tell me that this game is 3x better than any N64 game on the Wii virtual console! Plus, this is supposed to be one of the PlayStation's best selling games; there is no reason why it should be considered rare! Like I said, I found VIII, IX, and Tactics for less than that amount (ok, maybe it's about the same, but still).

Let me use another game for comparison: The first edition of Ocarina of Time (the gold cart) that comes with just the cart but no major wear and tear costs less than $30. A regular version of Final Fantasy VII without the manual and with some damage to the case along with some scratches on the first disc costs $30. Tell me now, why is a collector's edition of a 15 year old game at a lower price than a regular version of a 15 year old game?

Not to mention the fact that the first edition of Ocarina cost $75 while most PlayStation games didn't go over $50...

And don't use the whole "well ffvii > oot so it has to cost more" thing, because the quality difference wouldn't be big enough to justify this insane price.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 08:47 pm.

The game has so much cult status it is unreal.
As long as people are willing to pay the price, it won't go down :)

Age doesn't matter.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 08:52 pm.

It is pretty ridiculous considering that FF VIII and IX are a little over 15 dollars a piece, brand new. And this "it's out of print" holds no water since it was one of the highest selling PS1 games so therefore it's not exactly rare. I just think Amazon jacked up the price because it's popular and that's what the independent sellers are advertising it for.

Just buy the PSN version. Or maybe you'll get lucky and find one at a used game store cheap.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 09:05 pm.

Of course it's not actually amazon selling it. It's a company selling it through their website. Not fair blaming amazon for that :)

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 09:09 pm.

Purchase the PSN version. Costs only like $10, I believe.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 09:45 pm.

whatisurnameplz said:

Don't tell me that this game is 3x better than any N64 game on the Wii virtual console! Plus, this is supposed to be one of the PlayStation's best selling games; there is no reason why it should be considered rare! Like I said, I found VIII, IX, and Tactics for less than that amount (ok, maybe it's about the same, but still).

Let me use another game for comparison: The first edition of Ocarina of Time (the gold cart) that comes with just the cart but no major wear and tear costs less than $30. A regular version of Final Fantasy VII without the manual and with some damage to the case along with some scratches on the first disc costs $30. Tell me now, why is a collector's edition of a 15 year old game at a lower price than a regular version of a 15 year old game?

Not to mention the fact that the first edition of Ocarina cost $75 while most PlayStation games didn't go over $50...

And don't use the whole "well ffvii > oot so it has to cost more" thing, because the quality difference wouldn't be big enough to justify this insane price.

Because FFVII was only released once, OoT gets a new go every time Nintendo releases a console, theres like a zillion of them and its still on sale now. FFVII is older than your grandad.
OoT is almost 13 years old BTW.

Why do people always have to bring up OoT? Its like Godwins law(Which woodrow proved again yesterday) every mention of FFVII gets countered with OoT within a few posts.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 09:50 pm.

whatisurnameplz said:

First of all, a game's price doesn't equal its quality. I just spent $8 to play FFIII (VI), and I think that game is better than FFVII. But that doesn't matter. You're not just buying a game, as you said, you're buying a package.

As for why FFVII is priced higher (on one particular website) than Ocarina? I'm not exactly sure why, but I have some theories. First, they've ported Ocarina to Gamecube, and now over to the 3DS. Secondly, it's a pretty well-known fact that CDs don't last as long as cartridges. I can still play games that I bought 15 years ago on a cartridge, but CDs I have have been scratched up. The fact that you can find a used copy with minimal damage at this time is astounding.

That price doesn't mean that it's greater. It just means there's greater demand. That's how economics works.

msg said:

Why do people always have to bring up OoT? Its like Godwins law(Which woodrow proved again yesterday) every mention of FFVII gets countered with OoT within a few posts.

You're probably saying that because you're Hitler (XD, jk).

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 09:54 pm.

Playstation Network is your friend.

FillyModerator

Filly

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 09:57 pm.

msg said:

FFVII is older than your grandad. OoT is almost 13 years old BTW.

???
You win two cookies if you can identify the two oddities in this statement...

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 10:01 pm.

Availability is everything. Final Fantasy 8 and 9 probably got bigger production runs than 7 initially did as a result of 7's immense popularity. Square/Sony didn't know what a massive smash FF7 would be, since the franchise wasn't as well known when that game came out. So, AFTER FF7 was such a phenomenon, I'm sure they ramped up the production numbers for the sequels.

As a matter of fact, you can still buy the Greatest Hits version of both FF8 and 9 brand new off Amazon right now. When I started working at Best Buy in 2002, there were still plenty of copies of FF8 & 9 Greatest Hits versions sitting on the shelves while FF7 was long gone. Also, for collectors value, a good-quality, original black-stripe copies of FF7 are FAR more rare and thus valuable than the green-stripe greatest hits version. A lot of the black-stripe versions have taken damage over the years, being CD games and all, so it's a challenge to find one in near-mint condition.

Also, the nostalgia and popularity factor has a lot to do with it, and the average PSX-era gamer remembers FF7 more fondly than its later counterparts. Therefore, more people probably held onto their used copies of FF7 than the other games, and those who may have sold theirs years ago are willing to pay more to essentially buy those memories back. Thus, less of a supply and more of a demand.

Now, let's compare FF7 to Ocarina of Time. First of all, you can't play a Zelda: Ocarina of Time cartridge in any modern consoles and most households no longer have a Nintendo 64 hooked up to their TV. However, PS1 games still play in both PS2 and PS3. So you can run a FF7 disc on a modern console. You cannot run an N64 cartridge on any modern Nintendo console. So there's the practical reason why FF7 is more valuable than Ocarina. In addition, you can buy the Gamecube/Master Quest version of Ocarina or buy it off the Virtual Console for $10 and play it on a Wii. Granted, you can also buy FF7 off PSN, but I find that the PS1 Classics on PSN are not quite pushed as hard as Nintendo's classics on the virtual console. Also, I prefer to play the downloadable Wii version of Ocarina, it's much more cleaned up and sharp when compared to the original N64 cartridge. The PSN version of FF7 doesn't really offer any advantages over the PS1 disc version, it even has the same load times.

So, there are many supply and demand reasons why Final Fantasy 7 costs more than 8, 9, Tactics or Zelda: Ocarina of Time. The world of retro games is a nasty market. Finally, keep in mind that lots of retro game sellers are greedy. If one person overprices FF7, the market will follow that example. They know FF7 is a higher demand game than most other PS1 titles, so they'll charge more for it and unfortunately suckers out there probably won't bat an eye on paying too much. I've been trying to rebuild my SNES cartridge collection and run into these overpriced issues all the time.

Now, let's all go buy used copies of Ninja Gaiden Trilogy.

Why is Final Fantasy VII so expensive? Wednesday, August 3rd, 2011 at 10:15 pm.

BlitzSage said:

You're probably saying that because you're Hitler (XD, jk).

Did you see the pic of me at Auschwitz?!

Fillytase said:

???
You win two cookies if you can identify the two oddities in this statement...

Erm...I know! Its not a statement, its 2 sentances....and....is your grandad older than FFVII? Boy is he getting on a bit!

Pages : 12345

© 2014 - All rights reserved - Terms of Use - Contact