unikGamerunikGamer
Mass Effect text_is #21 on unikGamerMass Effect text_is #21 on unikGamer

Pages : 1

ExplojinModerator

Explojin

Ludum Dare 20 Sunday, May 15th, 2011 at 06:22 pm.

Ludum Dare said:

Ludum Dare is a regular accelerated game development Event. Participants develop games from scratch in a weekend, based on a theme suggested by community.

Ludum Dare was founded by Geoff Howland, and held it's first competition in April of 2002. Since then the community has run more than 18 regular Events, dozens of practice competitions, collectively creating thousands of games in just a weekend each.

The event attracts developers from all sides of the industry. Students, hobbyists, industry professionals from many well respected game studios, as well as many independent game developers.

Ludum Dare is exactly as it says above...an indie game competition in which the developer has to create the game in one weekend under a certain theme. This particular competition's theme is "It's Dangerous to Go Alone! Take this!" There are 352 entries and they are all free! So go play and rate them. I'll probably highlight a few from the competition in this thread throughout the week. Feel free to do the same. =D

ExplojinModerator

Explojin

Ludum Dare 20 Sunday, May 15th, 2011 at 08:20 pm.

Myrktorch

A simple platformer with nice sprite designs and an interesting light mechanic. I recommend the Final Version since it has a little more polish aesthetically as well as gameplay-wise. Developed by Gustav Kilman, I'll definitely be checking out more of his work. Could really use some ambient chip in the background but I suppose that's ambitious for a 48 hour competition.

unikGamer

Grave Robbers

The grave robbers are trying to steal your treasure so you must set off the traps to kill them. The trick is that each trap is tied to a key on the keyboard making it difficult as all hell. The game is developed by Adam Atomic who also developed a little game called Canabalt. Sadly there's a bug in Grave Robbers forcing you to refresh the page and click back on the game to restart after a Game Over screen.

unikGamer

Ludum Dare 20 Sunday, May 15th, 2011 at 10:13 pm.

Explojin said:

Sadly the developer is only under the name gugugu so I'm not sure what other work he has done.

Someone said:

Myrktorch is a 2D platformer created by Gustav Kilman (developer of Streambolt) for the Ludum Dare 20 competition

ExplojinModerator

Explojin

Ludum Dare 20 Sunday, May 15th, 2011 at 10:45 pm.

@rikan Well damn...I'm quite unobservant, I see it's at the bottom of the screenshot as well...lol xD Edited

Appy 1000mg

This game is about a protagonist that just wants to be "appy". The overly pixelated look is executed absolutely beautifully. Nice little underlying story even though it's very reminiscent of a few other games I've already posted about on here. Developed by Sebastien Benard who I believe works for Motion-Twin since that's what he linked to on the title screen.

unikGamer

Ludum Dare 20 Sunday, May 15th, 2011 at 11:54 pm.

How can you create a game in only a weekend?! (oO' )

ExplojinModerator

Explojin

Ludum Dare 20 Monday, May 16th, 2011 at 12:42 am.

WoodrowShigeru said:

How can you create a game in only a weekend?! (oO' )

You need skillz to pay the billz. Also the games aren't usually fully featured and have a couple of bugs. Some people make a competition version and then expand on what they had made which is cool. (Kilman and Benard both released post-competition versions of their respective games)

Alone

You play two characters, a turtle and a penguin, that you can switch between using the spacebar. Various obstacles that can be switched on and off are in the way and you have to find your way to the door. Pretty cut and dry 2D Platformer. Developed by a guy under the name of natpat.

unikGamer

ExplojinModerator

Explojin

Ludum Dare 20 Monday, May 23rd, 2011 at 04:02 am.

The Heart is Safe

The Heart is Safe is a game where you grab the heart and avoid enemies as best you can in order to gain points. Pretty simple premise reminiscent of old arcade games based solely off getting the highest score. Developed by Andrew Morrish. (Not Vlambeer...although it appears to take a lot of influence from Super Crate Box)

unikGamer

Pages : 1