unikGamerunikGamer
Mirror's Edge text_is #74 on unikGamerMirror's Edge text_is #74 on unikGamer

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 08:36 am.

I guess this rules out hell existing, since the bible was the only basis for its existence.
The guy in vid mentions the tentmaker website, here it is: http://www.tentmaker.org/

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 09:13 am.

What a surprise, I really didn't see that coming.....
My view is that the bible is just a bunch of moral guidelines to follow. If believing that they go to heaven with all their loved ones keeps people happy though, who am I to knock it?

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 10:13 am.

msg said:

with all their loved ones

well if there is a hell, any number of loved ones will go there

Of course you should knock it, the idea of a hell really isn't acceptable to any decent person. And people should not believe in hell, unless it exists. It disgusts me that people supposedly believe in the existence of hell, and proceed to have kids.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 10:31 am.

msg said:

What a surprise, I really didn't see that coming.....
My view is that the bible is just a bunch of moral guidelines to follow. If believing that they go to heaven with all their loved ones keeps people happy though, who am I to knock it?

That's not what true believers care about most or what keeps them happy.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 10:34 am.

Ninersfan4926 said:

That's not what true believers care about most or what keeps them happy.

What is? From my viewpoint this is the main motivation.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 10:49 am.

You know... I wish I could tribute to this discussion, but when religion is involved I really don't give a fuck anymore. Believers will believe what they want to believe and that doesn't bother me one bit as long as they leave me alone and don't come to my house on Saturday morning. Every time I hear the word bible or religion my brain goes "oh god here we go again" and it goes into lalala mode. There is really nothing to be gained from discussing religion (unless you are interested in it or like arguing). Both parties will defend their stance until death. It's like twilight fans vs twilight haters. It will never end.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 10:53 am.

This is interesting, but it's not like these bibles have not existed before. Nothing will change.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 11:10 am.

klemoib said:

Believers will believe what they want to believe and that doesn't bother me one bit as long as they leave me alone and don't come to my house on Saturday morning.

Yeah klem, I got bible bashers stood at my door yesterday when I got home with the shower. I told him I wasn't interested and I was busy fitting a shower but he had the cheek to continue knocking on my door. Great way to get people interested pal.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 03:51 pm.

My best friend tried really hard to fit all the moral guidelines spelled out by the bible to a tee, and it gave him schitzophrenia because he repressed urges too much. It's just not realistic.

If the bible's true, then Heaven's probably a pretty lonely place. There's probably only like 4 people from the past fifty years in there and they're probably all half crazy.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 04:05 pm.

DrEggnog said:

My best friend tried really hard to fit all the moral guidelines spelled out by the bible to a tee, and it gave him schitzophrenia because he repressed urges too much.

I think you're supposed to just use them as guidelines and adapt them to suit modern society, no point living like Jesus when the worlds a different place. We invented condoms see, sex before marriage doesn't come with the consequences it once did.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 04:11 pm.

I always thought of the sex before marriage thing as being more about emotional morals and closeness with another person and stuff and not about pregnancy at all. That's a little disappointing. To me marriage is just a legal thing to tell the government you're married.

I feel like people have just kindof given up on strict guidelines and morals because there's too many people now to control everyone and make everyone do the same thing. I still think eliminating a random 80 percent of the population would be a fantastic idea. Of course, even if it made the world a better place, it would still earn whoever did it a special place in Hell I guess. I'm not sure God's a very 'greater good' kind of guy.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 04:22 pm.

DrEggnog said:

I always thought of the sex before marriage thing as being more about emotional morals and closeness with another person and stuff and not about pregnancy at all. That's a little disappointing. To me marriage is just a legal thing to tell the government you're married.

Sex can be fun, and nothing more if you're both sensible. It doesn't have to have any attachment and no harm is done to anybody. Marriage means shit, we're closer than most people we know that are married, it's extremely rare we even have a crossed word. Marriage is kinda on the back burner for us because we'd rather go on 4 holidays a year and party on weekends and go out for meals a couple of nights a week, we don't do anybody any harm and a lot of people could learn a lot from us instead of rushing into marriage.

renegadeModerator

renegade

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 04:57 pm.

Even without getting into the mistranslation issue there's actually a lot of debate about whether hell just meant your being destroyed on judgement day rather than any eternal suffering. Some bible quotes support one, some the other.
Most of how hell, the devil, angels and a lot of other things get pictured have nothing to do with the Bible. They're beliefs the ordinary church encouraged well after anyone who wrote it died. Even Jesus's look only dates back to Renaissance artists deciding he must've looked Italian like them rather than like anyone from Nazareth.

msg said:

Yeah, exactly. At the heart of it I don't think religion's something you can prove/disprove it's a faith thing so I leave people to it unless it's hurting anybody.
I'm agnostic myself which probably helps make me not to be so pushy though. Used to be a pretty liberal christian and I still totally understand people that are but eventually I decided there was too much in the Bible I couldn't justify even though there's nice ideas too.
I'm still happy to argue religion if a Jehovah's Witness knocks on my door and wants to or something though.

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 05:11 pm.

renegadeV8 said:

I'm still happy to argue religion if a Jehovah's Witness knocks on my door and wants to or something though.

My mate made one walk away once, he asked for his address and when asked why he said "so I can come knock on your door and ram my religion down your throat". Then he went on a rant about letting children die when a simple blood transfusion could save them and all sorts of stuff, I didn't even know he was religious or knew anything about it until that point. He won't knock on his door again.

renegadeModerator

renegade

apparently hell was not originally in the bible Friday, October 19th, 2012 at 06:56 pm.

I've got no issue with Jehovah's Witnesses or any other religion knocking on doors or trying to talk to you in the street, I actually think it's quite nice that they want to get out there and talk about it rather than keeping their religion to themselves in a church building, just as long as when people say they're not interested that's that.
With JWs I disagree with them on a fair few things but it doesn't mean I expect them to keep quiet. I'm with your friend about blood transfusions. Also disfellowshipping's an awful thing, they've had failed prophecies in their history, their idea of being 'neutral in wordly politics' doesn't fit with democracy, there's a few smaller things and then you get into my general issues with taking the Bible as literally as they do and the things I find unjustifiable in there. If they knock on my door and want to talk about that I'm up for it. I'd try to be respectful though, sounds like your friend didn't.

Pages : 123456789101112131415 ... 19